|An Introduction to Geology
studying, and discussing Chapter 1, you should be able to:
- Define geology and describe the difference between its two broad areasphysical
geology and historical geology.
- Discuss the fundamental difference between catastrophism and uniformitarianism.
- Explain relative dating and list some principles of relative dating.
- Discuss the nature of scientific inquiry.
- List and describe the major components of Earth's physical environment.
- Explain the Earth system and identify the two sources of energy that power it.
- Describe the rock cycle and the role of various geologic processes in transforming one
rock type into another.
- Describe Earth's layered structure.
- Discuss the theory of plate tectonics and list the three types of plate boundaries.
Copyright © 1995-2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc. A Pearson Company Legal Notice